Spring is officially upon us and if you are like us, we are ready to clean up our homes to enjoy all of the fun-filled summer gatherings. Here are a few tips and reminders to get your home ready for the Spring and Summer!
Ensure the grading around your home slopes away from the home
This is the first step in making sure your foundation stays dry. If you notice setting around your home, simply pull back your mulch/landscaping and fill in around the foundation with topsoil and re-install your mulch/landscaping.
Change your air filters
Air ducts are notorious places for dust particles to build up, creating unhealthy air inside your home. Remembering to change your air filters not only provides a cleaner air but will also ensure your HVAC system is running efficiently.
Service your HVAC system
Call a local and trusted HVAC contractor to perform a ‘tune-up’ on your HVAC system to make sure everything is running properly. No one wants to have their air-conditioning go out in the middle of summer.
Clean your gutters
Proper gutter and downspout drainage is critical to water management around your home. Clean out any leaves/branches/etc. that have amassed throughout the fall/winter.
Check Foundation vents
If you live above a crawl space, there is a good chance you have foundation vents which should be checked for proper air-flow. Clean up any debris on the outside of the vents and ensure they are open for proper ventilation.
- Scrub all of your interior trim and doors with a sponge and some mild soap & water.
- Clean your windows and screens. There are many cleaning services available locally for hire, or you can tackle this task with a little elbow grease and some window cleaner.
- Test your smoke alarms! Always test and ensure your smoke detectors are in good working order.
- Clean up your outdoor furniture and get it ready to enjoy all summer long!
- Clean your grill- this is a task that almost nobody likes to do but is essential for food safety and health. Make sure your grill is in good working order by checking all of the gas lines and gaskets. It is also, not a bad idea to have a spare tank of propane on hand!
These are just a few tips to serve as reminders when getting your home ready for Spring. Always remember when cleaning out your closets with items you can no longer use, there are many local charities that can benefit from your gently used clothes and toys. Check out the Women’s Center, Agape, even your local fire company or church may know of a family in need.
Most importantly, remember to enjoy your spring & summer- get outside and breathe in some fresh air!